Monday, September 28, 2009

What I'd like to be like

From a review by Michael Stark (this screenwriting lecturer who when I asked for advice told me to just buy his book) of an in development screenplay 'RED'.

"Perhaps that’s what stayed with me so long after reading Red. It’s really a throwback to an earlier era/age/style of screenwriting. It has action, but it doesn’t call attention to itself like today’s product. The sequences moves at a nice clip, but it’s totally devoid of any look-at-me-as-I-cleverly-off-someone-with-a-bednob-or-a-broomstick-or-something-else-you’ve-never-seen-before. We’re totally invested in these characters and I found myself getting gleeful as they miraculously pull their mission impossible off.

Red is different because it’s so refreshingly underwritten. You won’t get a jolt or a rush or a headache after putting it down. There’s an old showbiz axiom that admonishes to “Always leave them wanting more.” "

Yeah...so that's pretty much the style I've been going for and appreciative of in other works. Fuck the cutesy writing bullshit.

No comments: